Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Eco-chic Lifestyle Change Week 5: Final Weekly Review and Overall Project Reflection


1) My SMART goal for the week was to shower no more than 7 minutes per day. I've actually gotten in the habit of taking short showers so it wasn't too much of a change. I usually set a timer on my phone that goes off a little bit before my goal so I know how long I have.

2) I find it challenging to get up and moving quickly in the morning. That was my biggest issue this week was trying to move quickly when I was tired. For the most part I did well, there was only one day that I went longer and it wasn't by much. The timer really helped as far as that went.

3) I feel productive when I shower quickly. Usually I never give myself enough time to get ready so now that I've been taking shorter showers it's easier for me to stick to my morning schedule.

4) I learned that if you make showering quick a habit, it's much easier to do everyday.

5) For next week I'm going to skip the timer and all that, but I will still try and stick to the shorter showers.

Review of entire process:
1) Initially my goal was to shower for no more than 10 minutes a day. Each week I chipped at it more and more until this past week I was at 7 minutes.

2) I used my cell phones timer to keep me on track, this helped a ton I think. There wasn't much that got in my way except for me. There was a lot of mornings were I was just too tired to move quick. It was easier for me to keep up the fast pace if I had coffee before I started getting ready. I think the way around problems like this is just to think it through.

3) I was much more timely by the end. It helped me get ready much quicker and helped me not be late for classes some days. I learned that even these rewards can motivate someone to alter their behavior.

4) I hear all about how many people around the world don't have clean water. I know the water I stropped from using doesn't go directly to them, but that's still a bunch of gallons I saved from the sewer. This intern helps the environment.

5) Probably not. I will definitely be trying to shower for less time in the future but I don't think I'll be trying to be down at 7 minutes and setting a timer and everything. I'll still be cutting down on water though.

6) If your not very excited about it or you don't think you can do it, give your self an incentive. I think that incentives motivate all behaviors, you need to get a reward out of what your doing. Whether its just getting to everything earlier or something else, it will motivate you much better then just feel as though you should.

photo

4 comments:

  1. This goal sounds so fun. I agree that for life style changes, it's good to give yourself incentives to motivate you through your behavioral changes. Sounds like you are doing a good job with keeping track of your time in the shower. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great SMART goal. Carly actually had this same goal and you both proved it was very realistic and worth it. Of course there are those times when showers feel amazing and you just want to stay in a few extra minutes. Well my advice do it...just do not do it all the time or cut back on another shower. There are many ways to alter your goals to make them work for you. I am glad you achieved your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear about your success with your SMART goal! Especially now that winter is upon us I'm sure we all love the idea of taking warm showers so I totally respect your achievements! I bet it felt great to cut down your time each week and still stay on track with your goal. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though I haven't followed you from the beginning of the project, I can see that you were very committed to your goal. Great job achieving it this week and good luck in the future!

    ReplyDelete