Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Eye Opener: Oneline learning activities

Image
-------------------------
Kristen's Air Quality Crossword Puzzle

~Read the articles listed on her blog and complete the linked puzzle

Across:
4. Asthma
5. Carbon Monoxide
6. EPA
Down:
1. Air Quality Index
2. Air Toxins
3. Mobile
------------------------------
Mary's Health Insurance For All

~Complete the activities she linked on her blog. Read the articles, play the game and watch the video. Once that's completed describe 2 things that you've learned.

1. I never really knew that when you have insurance the only thing that you really pay for is the co-pay and the deductible. For some reason I thought that you had to pay more than that. I wasn't sure if you had to pay money for it initially or not.
2. I was unaware that Minnesota had such good life rates. Apparently in MN the average death is at 75 years of age! That's great, I think it is the highest in the US. Also the occupational death rates were also great. I think MN was ranked #1. They also were top 10 for just about everything else. I would have never known this about MN.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Molly's No Way BPA In Baby Formula

~Look into the website listed in her post. Decide if you think that chemicals should be more or less regulated, specifically related to baby formula. Write a short reflection on it.

I think that baby formula should be MUCH MUCH MORE REGULATED!!! I found it literally disgusting that this sort of thing is going on. I cannot believe that corporates are standing by and letting their companies pump babies full of these harmful chemicals. Moreover, Im disturbed that the EPA has let this go on. Clearly they do not have the public in mind. It made me see that even though breastfeeding might be difficult, your babies health is worth it. Also, why not puree your baby some fresh organic veggies. Sure that might be difficult too but its much better than giving them harmful chemicals. Parents are babies caregivers and they should do what is the best for the child. More parents should be aware of this issue. This post has really effected me, someday I will be a parent and it scares me to think that there are so many bad things out there that I'm not even aware of. I guess I need to start examining everything closer.

-------------------------------------------------------

Heidi's Advocacy Project: Childhood Obesity

~Take the childhood obesity quiz linked on her post. Once you've taken it, report your score and what you've learned.

I got a 9 out of 10 on the quiz. The one question I got wrong was the last one. It was a true or false question, saying never give your child soda, cookies, ect. I said true because I just don't think that those are foods that are ok for kids to be eating when they need much more nutritious food to ensure proper development. In retrospect though, I think that kids do need to have it once in a while otherwise when they can finally buy it themselves they're going to go crazy on it. It also might make for an unhealthy relationship with food if you don't let them have certain foods. I still feel that these are foods that should not be given to children frequently though.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Alicia's Advocacy Project: Emergency Contraception

~After reading the website linked, provide 3 myths that they covered and explain why they are false. Next find 3 places near you that proved emergency contraception.

1. It's difficult to get- Many places carry this form of contraception. You can get if from the E.R., a clinic, planned parenthood, ect
2. It's too expensive- Most insurance companies cover the cost. It also doesn't cost very much out of pocket. Its way cheaper than having a baby.
3.It's hazardous to your health- It contains no estrogen, and is much safer than having a baby or having an abortion.
4. You can get it in Duluth at: Health Services at UMD, Planned Parenthood on Central Entrance, or either of the hospitals.

-----------------------------------------------------
Emily's Uncovering The Facts About Cancer

~Go to the WebMD site and find 3 facts that interest you. Find 3 causes of cancer on the American Cancer Society's site. Read about ways to prevent cancer on the preventcancer.org site. Finally report 3 common causes of cancer and 3 ways you can best protect yourself.

1. There are over 100 types of cancer, there are 4 causes of Melanoma(color of eyes, skin tint, moles, ect) and never having a baby increases risk of women for getting ovarian cancer.
2. 1/3 of cancer deaths are related to poor diet/lack of exercise. To decrease your risk of cancer, maintain a BMI under 25. There are over 1000 cancer clusters in America.
3. Causes: Lack of exercise, prolonged sun exposure without sunscreen, and smoking. I can prevent cancer from having a good diet rich in greens, wear sunscreen, and never ever smoke.

4 comments:

  1. You listed great places to go to receive emergency contraception. Great Job! On a more serious note, can you believe the BPA issue? How can they not regulate something like this? These are babies, babies we are pumping full of chemicals. When I have kids I will definitely be monitoring what I buy for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly's advocacy project really shocked me too! I imagine myself as a parent someday too and I would not want unhealthy things to be fed to my children. About health insurance, it is surprising how well MN is doing with its health insurance companies. Let's not stop there though, there's still more awareness to look for and keep those numbers looking good for MN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, pumping babies full of BPA is literally disgusting to me. I was outraged. I think we all agree on this issue and maybe will spread the word to increase awareness on this issue? I hope so. I enjoyed reading your responses to the learning activities, I learned a lot even from reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you learned a lot from these activities. The video about the children smoking was shocking and almost hard to watch. You did a really nice job of organizing this post. It was clear and easy to read. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete